Looking for tips. D800E or similar cameras out in bad weather.

Started Dec 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,219
Like?
Looking for tips. D800E or similar cameras out in bad weather.
Dec 24, 2013

Two days ago we had a major ice storm here in north america.

Early in the morning, I went outside for several hours taking photos of the ice storm. The rain was a constant drizzle and the temperature was just below 0 c.

I brought with me 2 cameras, one a pro series body (non Nikon) which had a 70-200 pro lens on it. My second camera, my D800E/24-70 f2.8G with it's battery grip.

Outside in the rain, I would occasionally pat off the water soaked cameras with a rag but when the rag got over saturated, I started to get a bit nervous and I was then relying on weather sealings to do their jobs.

The accumulation of water was getting bad! At one point my 1D IV had a puddle of water on its' eyepeice which I literally poured out. Water was all over the controls of both cameras.

In a nutshell, my pro camera functioned without any problems. My D800E worked flawlessly up to the time of my arrival at home (2 hours later in the rain) when it surrendered to the weather.

Functions lost on my D800E:

control dial below shutter button

LCD on the back

AF selection as well as AF of the lens

menu access

no function for changing modes

lost all control functions of dial and button array top leftside of camera

turning the camera off and on I heard a clicking noise. This noise was the lever inside the camera lens mount closing down the lens aperture.

Stripping the camera down

Removed the grip and battery. Water found between camera and grip. No water appeared to be in the battery compartments or on the fine electrical contacts.

I flipped open the camera flash. Water was pooling in there and I poured it out.

Removed the camera battery and I could not detect any water inside the compartment.

Removed lens. No water found inside the lens mount or inside the lens.

Inspected behind the rubber flaps no water found

Insected memory card slots could not see any water.

Where the water entered honestly Idk.

Do any of you know where the D800 is vulnerable to water entry?

Drying out the camera

Reattached the lens opened all camera flaps and doors. With battery and memory cards removed, I perch the camera near a furnace vent and let warm air dry it out over night.

The next day I reassembled the camera and it functions as if nothing ever happened!

I pushed my camera too hard,

but I don't want to be deterred from taking photos in inclimate weather with < pro series cameras.

What do you do to protect your < pro series cameras while out in bad weather?

Your tips will be greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure others.

Also. feel free to share your bad weather experiences where your camera failed.

Cheers

PS I could have had a major repair bill or worse I could have completely lost this camera. I now know its breaking point and with your tips and a little bit of care on my part, I won't push my < pro series cameras so hard in bad weather. Also, I don't know the breaking point of pro series cameras but I really don't want to find out either!   

Canon EOS-1D Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow