Canon 5d mkii + 800-200mm f/2.8 L - Softness issue.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MattSPhotography
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Canon 5d mkii + 800-200mm f/2.8 L - Softness issue.
9 months ago

Hello,

I have used the forum for a good while now, but purely for reference, as I generally find most of my questions answered.

I have an issue with my 'magic drainpipe' lens, in that it just does appear as sharp as I would expect it to be at 100%. The eyes just look watery.

The company I shot for are over the moon with the shots, but being critical of my own work, I'd like to know what I could do to improve.

I was using liveview x 10 to focus on the models' eyes. Lens at various focal lengths, but shot below was at 150mm. f/9, 1/160 sec (due to cheap remote syncs), 2 180w strobes on the model, tripod, iso 320. No filter fitted to lens.

They've put a few on facebook, which does compress the hell out of everything, but on their website, this sort of size will look fine.

Facebook hosted pic, resized, compressed.

And this is another shot, in it's original format:

Straight off the camera, seems soft around the eyes.

What am I doing wrong? Am I hitting diffraction issues at f/9? Larger apertures were just not getting the DOF I needed, although the softness seemed to be related more to the edge of the frame than distance away from the camera.

Could I have a duff lens?

MattSPhotography's gear list:MattSPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow