Fuji HS50EXR Vs Sony HX300v

Started Dec 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
MarkInSF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877
Like?
Re: Fuji HS50EXR Vs Sony HX300v
In reply to iamnikhil, Dec 24, 2013

iamnikhil wrote:

Hi! I'm an amateur photographer. I'm looking to buy a camera which can compete with a dSLR in terms of quality. At least give the dSLR's a run for their money.
So, I've turned my attention to the superzoom/bridge cameras.
But I'm confused between the Fuji HS50EXR and the Sony HX300v.
Which one is better in terms of image quality and video quality?
One more thing - can we control shutter speed during video mode in any of the above 2 cameras?

These cameras may give you nice results in the right circumstances, but in no circumstances do they, "compete with a dslr in terms of quality" or,  "give the dslrs a run for their money".   Sorry, not going to happen.   A bridge has a tiny little sensor with limited dynamic range.   A bridge camera has a lens equivalent that uses lots of low quality elements in an effort to give acceptable results over a huge zoom range.   That large number of cheap elements has an abundance of surfaces without fancy coatings.   That guarantees low contrast from all of the reflections.    Trying to give acceptable results at all those different focal lengths guarantees that the lens is excellent at none of them.   I'm frankly amazed by he results are as decent as they are given the complexity and low prices of these lenses, but they still do not compete favorably with a standard dslr kit zoom.   And are destroyed by a good prime or even good dslr zoom.

If you want to buy a bridge because it's what you can afford or because you love having such a massive zoom range at your fingertips, go ahead and buy one.   But lower your expectations to what a bridge can do and you'll be happier.   It is at its best in bright light, shooting stationary subjects.   It gives better pictures in the middle part of its zoom range and wider.   And even at its best its images will not be as sharp, contrasty, or accurate as a dslr image.   They often look overprocessed, an attempt to eliminate optical flaws and increase sharpness.

If you want dslr quality, buy a dslr.   The entry-level models are not much more than these bridge cameras, and clearance models can be as cheap.   There are also quite a few mirrorless models in this price range, any of which will give you better image quality.   For $400 you can get a Nikon J3 with two zooms covering the equivalent of 27-297mm.   One of the two lenses, the telezoom, is a lens of excellent quality and a huge value for the extra $100 they charge for it.   The J3 is not an image quality champ among mirrorless models, but it still has a sensor many times the size of a standard bridge sensor.   It also has better build quality and a clever autofocus system that is wonderfully fast, at least in bright light.   There are other models with significantly better image quality, but I bring up the J3 package because its two lenses cover a wide range, including the most used focal lengths, so might appeal to a bridge enthusiast.

For a dslr, you can get something like the generation-old Nikon D3100 for around $400 on sale (last I looked).   The current D3200 is less than a hundred more.   In the mirrorless world the Sony NEX-3N can take excellent pictures for no more than $400, often less on sale.   There are also an enormous number of small advanced compacts with sensors with twice the area of a bridge sensor and much faster lenses.   Most of these are small enough for a jacket pocket and the smallest would fit a pants or shirt pocket.   Most run from $300-500, with a few of the best as much as $750 (the Sony RX100 II) and some clearance items as low as $200 (the Fuji XF1 has been there recently, but supplies are running out.)   Other typical compacts are the Nikon P330 and Canon S120 at the small end, Canon G16, Nikon P7800, and Fuji X20 at the large end, with the Panasonic LX7 and several others in between.   All are capable of very nice image quality in bright light, and will be much better than a standard bridge camera in low light, if not competitive with a dslr.

I hope this makes sense to you.   Different cameras, different abilities.   Bridge cameras have simple innards much like a point & shoot model, but attached to a wide-ranging zoom and given faux-dslr styling.   They are limited by both the sensor and the lens.   A dslr , mirrorless camera, or advanced compact is better balanced, with lenses that are properly matched to the size and abilities of its sensor and electronics.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow