The Full Frame Myth

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dougbm_2
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Re: The Full Frame Myth
In reply to Zaax, 10 months ago

My 2 cents.

All else being equal apart from sensor size the FF will win over a smaller size for IQ.

No doubt smaller than FF sensors satisfy many photographers demands such that FF is not necessary for them and in fact the advantages of light weight, smaller size and faster handling offer a better solution.

My experience is with a 5D, 60D, 50D and X100. I have also had a Fuji S2 pro (excellent tonality), a Sigma SD14 ( love the IQ but many limitations) a Sony a350 (nice colours and good metering but grainy images) and several compacts - A550, A650IS, G11 and XZ-1.

I started out using the 5D for real estate photography (as well as for landscape work).

I moved to the 60D but soon became frustrated with its shadow noise and lack of detail - despite it having more MP (18 vs 13 for the 5D).

I need to lift the shadows for my work and the 5D tolerates that much more than the 60D or the 50D I reverted to for it's better handling (sold the 60D).

Also the other MAJOR benefit of the FF 5D is the much bigger and better viewfinder.

The other advantage of FF is the ability to achieve shallow depth of field. Actually not always an advantage.

The FF 5D give files that have much more give in Photoshop and indeed require less processing.

ASPC senors such as the Fuji X100 show how far things have come with it's excellent low light performance but it seems to have much less dynamic range than the 5D and is actually not that good for landscapes. The 50D sits somewhere in between with fast all around operation and easy handling but less forgiving files (ie more shadow noise).

Basically it is horses for courses and no absolute statements can really be made.

You pays your money...

Dougbm_2's gear list:Dougbm_2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow