Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,942
Like?
4K / UHD Screenshots
4 months ago

Several people have asked for 4K/UHD (3840x2160) screen shots to see how Windows and various apps scale with the high resolution.

I have a Dell 2414Q monitor, 23.8" UHD resolution monitor that I'm very pleased with. Below is a link to a file share on Google with some screen shots.

Software shown:

Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows Explorer, Task Manager

Start8 (provides a Win7 style menu in the Win8 desktop UI)

IE11

Office Pro 2013 Plus

Crystal Disk Mark - measuring my RAID performance

GPU-Z

CPU-Z

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7re6a9_3U2nOFhZNU1NQWFlblU&usp=sharing

To really view the images you need to download them and view full screen.

I have set the OS scaling to 150%, and the browser scaling to 150%

To see a size comparison these would be best viewed full screen on a 23-24" monitor to see the font size scaling, however, what you'll see on a 1080P versus what you'd see on a UHD monitor will be fuzzy and blurry by comparison.

I would expect that most people on first observation of these would complain that the fonts are too small, there are two things to note:

1. I find that smaller fonts are fine on the higher resolution screen - I have intentionally chosen smaller fonts because with the higher resolution they are easier to read than on a low resolution screen, and with smaller fonts you can pack more on the screen.

2. Windows offers 200% scaling versus the 150% I selected for the OS, and the browser offers both 175% and 200% versus the 150% I chose, so even if you don't like it this size you can make it incrementally larger.

Although I don't yet have a screen shot today, CS6 does not fare as well. Much of it fails to scale and is problematically small. I tried to install CC but ran into problems, I will try again in a few days.

Roland.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow