Advice for a frustrated Alpha (A65) owner?

Started Dec 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Advice for a frustrated Alpha (A65) owner?
Dec 23, 2013

I'm starting the (long) process of saving for a camera upgrade, and am not sure what to do given the apparent decline of the A-mount ecosystem.  I left Olympus 4/3 in favor of Sony when the A77/A65 were new, primarily because I didn't want to continue to invest in 4/3 when m4/3 appeared to be on the rise.  I'm afraid I made the same mistake with A-mount, as E and FE mount seem to be the hot new thing.  Now I'm left trying to decide if I should be moving in the direction of an A7 (and its descendants) or the NEX line (which I know will be renamed, but you know what I mean...).  Heck, the OM-D E-M1 and the m4/3 "Pro" lenses look pretty compelling!

I used to shoot mostly landscape and travel, but now that I have two kids, much of my photography is indoor/low-light.  I have never been a fan of flash, so being able to keep a reasonable shutter speed indoors is important to me.  My A65 makes that tough.  The noise is problematic anywhere over ISO400, which is a shocking disappointment to me (part of the reason I left 4/3 was for the greener pastures of the larger APS-C sensor).  I love some of the benefits of SLT, like the 6fps capture and EVF, but I realize I am missing a lot of images due to slow shutter speeds or unacceptable high-ISO noise.

Sorry for the long intro!  I guess my question boils down to whether I should be looking to make the jump to FF.  I was never willing to carry a big FF body, but the A7 is a new breed.  The hype says that a FF sensor would help my indoor photography, but the compromises in terms of lens cost and size are two concerns.  Most of my shooting now is with the excellent 16-50mm F/2.8.  I guess I would gravitate towards the Sony 24-70 F/4, but am worried that going from a 2.8 to a 4 is giving up a good bit of the advantage of going FF in the first place.  Am I misunderstanding something?  (Canon's F/4 L lens is at least a 4x zoom range, though I admit the Canon F/2.8 L is twice the price and twice the weight of the Sony!)

Has anyone else here been in my position?  If so, what did you do?

Thanks in advance for any input...

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow