Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,215Gear list
Like?
Marsh Wildlife Diversity: Birds & BIFs, iguanas, turtles
8 months ago

Had the chance this past weekend to get out on Saturday for a few hours of wetlands and marsh shooting - with Christmas shopping and decorating, several vacations and the ensuing catch ups at work, and family in town, I haven't had more than a spare couple of hours here and there, so it was nice to take 3-4 hours to get back out to the wetlands - the first hour or so with my DSLR, and the second hour or two with my NEX-5N + SEL55-210mm + DH1758 teleextender.  It's been a while since I had birds and other wildlife denizens to share here, so I figured it was time!

A great blue heron taking off and stretching those great big wings

He flew quite low over the water - low enough that he was dipping his wingtips on each downstroke...the splash to the left is from a moorhen who took off running in panic as the big bird approached

The ubiquitous green iguana - this one is a youngster...years ago we had a cold snap and about 1/2 of the population died - but three straight years without a winter has caused the population to boom - and they're about as populous as they've ever been

A snowy egret flying down low with a backdrop of leafy marsh

I took a 4-shot sequence of the snowy's flight, but I'll only share two of them here to keep things diverse

A white ibis jumped up on the rail to greet me - and he didn't budge even as I walked right past him

Up in the pine trees high above, dozens of the well-named pine warblers were bobbing around for food

This cattle egret soared directly overhead - I caught him with a very angelic pose

This is a new invader to my county - the purple swamphen, late of Africa, who has established himself in the county to our south, and is not making headway into our county.

One of our many turtle varieties - this one is a cooter.  His shell is actually quite colorful...but you can't tell as he's covered in moss/algae - which grows on them since they spend so much time in the water, and aren't exactly fast!

And one last one - I saw this colorful water bloom and wanted to take a closeup - only after zooming and focusing did I notice the little spider who had turned it into his own private island oasis!

Comments, questions, critique are welcomed as always.

Hope you enjoyed a visit back to the Florida wetlands again!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow