ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,508Gear list
Like?
The Pancake
10 months ago

I'll not hear a word against it.

When it came out, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was deafening in here. I looked at some samples and thought it had a lot of potential but alas, I was told how wrong I was. It was "soft at the corners", it had no aperture ring, it was too expensive for a f2.8, and worst of all, it was MADE IN CHINA!!!

The truth is that it's a little gem. The optical quality from such a tiddly little piece of glass is nothing short of amazing. In terms of colour, it's possibly the most vibrant of the XF lenses. Despite the lack of a lens hood, flare is not a problem. The AF is snappy. It is the ideal street lens, non-threatening, discreet, looks toy-like but is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Should have been the kit lens with the X-M1 for the ultimate candids package.

The minimum focus distance is longer than I'd like, that's the only bad thing I can find to say about it. Sure, the 23 and 35 are two stops faster - and both much bigger; f2.8 is the same as the cherished 14 and the short end of the 18-55 though and I'm seeing no complaints about those speeds. I strongly suspect that this summer's naysayers had never owned nor used this lens, so let's put it in its rightful place: it's a great little lens, an unsung hero of the XF range. It never fails to put a smile on my face, that's for sure.

X-E1 SOOC JPG, all settings at default.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow