Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
charmdesign
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Is something wrong with AF on my new lens?, understanding autofocus
8 months ago

So it wasn't until recently that I started to delve into the ins and outs of focus. Today I tried out setting the focus point selection myself. I must say, I felt like my new 50mm 1.4g was...clumsy? not sure how else to describe it. Unless there is user error? I mean, in these shots I attempted to move the focus point selector box over the middle reed. However I got 2 different results. In one, more of the background is in focus, not what I wanted. Why did it feel like when I pushed the button half way that the focus was sort of 'zooming' in and as if 'struggling' to decide what to focus on. Isn't the point of me selecting single point af-s mode so that the lens doesn't HAVE to struggle or decide or seemingly..move...I don't know if I'm describing it right. It's like I saw it work and focus on the background. I didn't do anything different from shot to shot. It bugs me that I feel like each time I focus, even if I'm selecting the point myself, I'm taking a bit of a gamble. Is this typical? Is something wrong with my AF? I mean, the point selection seems lacking...heck, I'd probably be better off manually focusing! The time it takes to move the point too...not conducive to working with a moving subject....Feeling frustrated/ confused. Also- I've not learned to 'lock' the focus point yet. So, until then, let's say I choose my point. But in the time it takes to choose that point my subject has moved. So I wait a second and then I take it. Well now my subjects head is in a slightly different position. But the camera doesn't know that, right? all it knows it what I told it. So now it's focusing on some random part. Does this sound accurate? I'm not imagining these pitfalls right?

-- hide signature --

Nikon d7000 + 18-105, 50mm 1.4g

charmdesign's gear list:charmdesign's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow