Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,169Gear list
Like?
Leaning towards buying either a D700 or a 58mm f1.4G
9 months ago

Lately I have been shooting mostly portraits and at times a LOT of them (100+) at various events. I switched from olympus to nikon with a D7000. I fell in love with the 85mm f1.8G but not the skin tones I got from the D7000. I got a used D200 to use with the 85mm and love the OOC jpegs this combo produces. Being able to not deal with processing RAW files is a big bonus for me.

Lately I have been shooting some indoor/portable studio stuff (large groups, one or two people at a time) and the 85mm is a bit long, especially for groups/couples. 60-70mm on DX would work better but I have no fast zoom/prime in that range. I have a 17-70 f2.8-4 sigma but on DX, f4 is more DOF than I like. Most of the f2.8 reasonably priced zooms end at 50mm. I have an 80-200 f2.8 and feel this lens on FX would cover a wider range of portrait shots (without having to switch out primes) and still have the shallow DOF I like. I tried the 50mm f1.8G and was underwhelmed with the results compared to the 85mm f1.8g shots.

Which leads me to which body to get. My concern with the D610 is the colors OOC would be similar to what my D7000 produces, which would then require shooting RAW and PPing etc. The 10MP of the D200 is plenty for my needs so I assume the D700 file size isn't going to be an issue. Being an earlier generation camera, my thoughts are the colors OOC might be closer to what I get from my D200?

The other option I was considering is the 58mm f1.4G and use that on my D200. It's about the same money as a good used D700 body would be. From what I have seen, the images from this lens are stunning. The only hassle then is swapping between the 58 and the 85 depending on the group size vs using the 80-200 zoom. But then I would know the colors/skin tones I love from the D200 would still be there. With the D700 it's an unknown for me if I would like the skin tones OOC or not. The other advantage of the D200/58mm would be a much lighter weight setup over a D700+80-200 (and smaller, less intimidating to some people) but of course the zoom allows more flexability.

Understand I shoot at iso100 in this environment so high ISO shooting isn't part of this. But if the D700 colors are like the D200 and I gained some high ISO headroom for shooting other things, that would be a nice bonus.

Any advice/experience people have would be nice to hear.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow