Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
FE 28-70mm OSS - please check this image
4 months ago

I need to return this lens (it came yesterday ex-kit unboxed but new with a 12 month warranty) as I think it is not just a poor lens, it's faulty. This is shot at f/8 and 28mm, it is really no better at f/11. It's sharp across the whole frame at 70mm wide open but the edges get progressively more blurred as you zoom back to 28mm. With a flat target (building at 20feet) it seems to be better wide open than stopped down.

This is on A7R and I appreciate not many of these lenses have found their way on to A7Rs, as they have only been sold with the A7, and only the 35mm FE seems to have been offered with the A7R to date (in Europe anyway).

Check the full size and see how very small the area of central sharpness is, and what happens left and right. This is not a depth of field issue, or a focus setting issue, and doesn't seem to be a curvature of field thing either. If you have this lens, please tell me if this in any way typical. It's going back anyway as this is quite useless to me. Turning off lens geometry correction gives a small improvement as this function always reduces sharpness towards the edges/corners - but it's not a sufficient improvement and the correction is needed.

David

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow