How best to process bird pics with AF-S 80-400mm ?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137Gear list
Like?
How best to process bird pics with AF-S 80-400mm ?
7 months ago

I've had the lens for nearly a year now and after a shaky start where I didn't think it performed as well as I would have expected, considering it is the single most expensive lens I've ever purchased, I can now get great results as long as I follow some certain rules.

I have attached a few recently taken pics to test the limits of using the widest aperture. I'd like to know a good way to do some quick processing to improve the images in Nikon View NX 2, especially the images taken at f5.6, which show haloing around the highlights. How do I limit the haloing without having to stopping down??

All these pics taken at the 400mm setting.

f 5.6

f 8

This last pic is pretty much my standard bird shot, not the best background or pose by the bird as such, but the settings were what I would nearly always use. I did some light processing in View NX 2 to improve it.

Nuthatch

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow