Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?
In reply to mr moonlight, 10 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

nixda wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

I just got an x-e1 and its my first camera other than my phone.

I'm just shifting the focus to my subject once I compose, but i find it a bit clunky for sure. Can you explain what the focus+recompose method is?

Hi Spud, simply focus on the desired target with a half press of the shutter, keep the half press while you reposition your subject in the frame, and then complete the deed by fully pressing the shutter. FYI, the technique can be faulty if you are working with a shallow DOF, or with wide lenses, to my knowledge. But I'm shooting with the 35 1.4. Oh...And if you have the time or are shooting still life/portraits, always set the focus point manually.

I'm finding that the X-E1 does F/R really well, experimenting around the house today. Other cameras I've used tend to lose the initial focus point, while the X-E1 seems to keep it sharp in the frame. This is a relief after shooting in a crowd today and fumbling the focus point around while losing shots.

I don't understand why it should be different for different cameras/lenses. How can the focus point be lost? The shift in the focus plane upon F/R is dictated by basic laws of geometry that surely don'y differ from camera to camera.

It will differ from camera to camera based on sensor/frame size. The smaller the sensor, the larger the DOF, thus the more you can move your camera before your subject is OOF while using the same aperture as a larger sensor camera. As for lenses, the wider your lens the more you can move it off center.

I fully understand the DoF, shifting focal plane and crop factor issues. But the OP is giving me the impression that the cameras behave differently, even for equivalent settings. Besides, the G9 should have much fewer problems with 'losing' focus than the X-E1, because DoF is usually much larger on the G9, not the other way around.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow