Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?
I do
In reply to AustinB, 7 months ago

The subjects I like to photograph are rarely in one place for more than a few seconds. As far as I can recall, I've used this method with the XP-1 and every other autofocus camera I've used to the point that it is an unconscious action like shifting gears in a car with a manual transmission.  It is the quickest and least disruptive way of both quickly acquiring focus on the principal subject and getting good composition that I know.

Nearly all of the "action" shots I shoot with the Fuji are shot with small apertures to help counter the slow focus tracing of the camera.  That also has the side benefit of giving quite a lot of leeway for the focus/recompose process, thereby off-setting most human error.

On set-piece type shots, like landscapes, there is plenty of time to use other methods of obtaining both focus and pleasing composition, but with something like a dog retrieving a pheasant, there is no time at all.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow