Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Richman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?
Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter
7 months ago

This adapter just became available. I had to try it out.  It feels really solidly built, Zeiss quality IMHO.   You close focus with a ring that goes all the way around, like a real focus ring, very smooth.  It also has a lock lever, so that you can make sure you don't move it when you don't want to.

My only complaint so far is that the lock lever is easily undone when you don't know it, so care is still needed to make sure it's not extended for normal use.  It does cost even more than Novoflex adapters, but it seems as well built and does offer helicoid close focusing, so to me it's worth it.  I think it is much better built than the less expensive Hawk helicoid, although you can probably get the same results with both.  I prefer the VM-E, so I'm going to sell my Hawk.

Here's what the VM-E looks like mounted, and a test shot done with it and the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm at 16mm and F22.

Test shot, processed in CC.  Topaz InFocus was used to reduce diffraction effects.  The shot was cropped to 5730 wide, down from the A7r's 7360.  The version uploaded here is 4929 wide.  The watch was about 2 inches from the lens element, and the lens was almost fully extended (almost 4mm of extension).  Without extension, at 0.5m, the watch would be tiny. It's amazing what a tiny extension does on such a wide angle lens.

A7r with VM-E and Tri-Elmar

Here you can see the focus ring that goes all around the adapter.

Lock lever

Here's a link for the adapter:

http://shop.cameraquest.com/rayqual-nex-lens-adapters/

I'm not suggesting that this is the best closeup arrangement, of course it's not.  The subject can get way too close, so that it's difficult to avoid lens shadow.  But it's nice to have the flexibility when a need arises and a tele closeup lens is not handy. You can of course use it at further distances than 2".  With this lens, you can close focus anywhere between 0.5m and ~2", instead of being stuck at 0.5m.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +9 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PSNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow