Nikon 300mm f4 - First shots... (full moon)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David A. Hamments
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?
Nikon 300mm f4 - First shots... (full moon)
8 months ago

After selling my trusty Nikon 80-400VR (1st version), initially to upgrade to the new AFS version I antagonized over the cost of the new lens vs. the improvements I might realize over the old one. Not being a professional, $2700 is a heap of cash to fork out.  I'm a beginner "birder" and really needed to get out to at least 400mm so I checked out the Bigma OS, and Sigma 120-300 f2.8 as well as the "long in the tooth" Nikon 300mm f4.  Fred Miranda's sight has a wonderful post of images dedicated to this lens and after spending a few hours researching, I decided to pick one up.  I also purchased the Nikon TC-14 to get me out to 420mm.  Here's one of my first shots with the combo.  My tripod was in the car, so I mounted the lens and TC on my monopod and fired off a few frames.  All in all, I'm happy with the resolving capability of the pair compared to my old 80-400VR.  I'll probably miss the VR on this lens, and I know it's due for an update but for now I'll get used to it and see how it fares for BIF's etc...

Almost full moon from the Southern Hemisphere...  300mm f4 + TC-14 on a monopod.

Sorry for the wordy post!  I'd love to see some more examples of photos taken with this combo for inspiration!

Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +16 more
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow