Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Re: Who Here Uses Focus/Recompose with X Cameras?
In reply to nixda, 9 months ago

nixda wrote:

AustinB wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

I just got an x-e1 and its my first camera other than my phone.

I'm just shifting the focus to my subject once I compose, but i find it a bit clunky for sure. Can you explain what the focus+recompose method is?

Hi Spud, simply focus on the desired target with a half press of the shutter, keep the half press while you reposition your subject in the frame, and then complete the deed by fully pressing the shutter. FYI, the technique can be faulty if you are working with a shallow DOF, or with wide lenses, to my knowledge. But I'm shooting with the 35 1.4. Oh...And if you have the time or are shooting still life/portraits, always set the focus point manually.

I'm finding that the X-E1 does F/R really well, experimenting around the house today. Other cameras I've used tend to lose the initial focus point, while the X-E1 seems to keep it sharp in the frame. This is a relief after shooting in a crowd today and fumbling the focus point around while losing shots.

I don't understand why it should be different for different cameras/lenses. How can the focus point be lost? The shift in the focus plane upon F/R is dictated by basic laws of geometry that surely don'y differ from camera to camera.

I worded that in a way that wasn't helpful. There have been times with other cameras in which the initial subject loses much of its sharpness. Hasn't happened much lately, but on the old Canon G9 it was common.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow