Couple of Thoughts on Nikon 1 Since Moving On (as Main Camera)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Couple of Thoughts on Nikon 1 Since Moving On (as Main Camera)
8 months ago

Here are some thoughts on where the V1 really excels after owning an OMD-EM5 (disliked, sold) and a Fuji X-E1 (love, keeping).

Metering is excellent in the V1. It's almost a foregone conclusion that the camera will do the job with very little input from the user. Testing it next to the X-E1, it meters more reliably, which is good given the smaller sensor with less room for blown highlights.

The EVF is excellent. Very little lag, and it's hardly ever jumpy. Very smooth.

The electronic shutter is brilliant. On a sunny day you can push shutter speeds to 1/8000 of a second for example, with the 18.5, and shoot wide open. This is underrated, because with the Fuji and 35 1.4, for example, I need to stop down to 3.2 or so. Depth of field advantage largely lost.

The electronic shutter is also brilliant because it is silent without rolling shutter artifacts in some M43 cameras.

The user interface (yeah I said it) is easy to use. It isn't what I would call "good" but in reality it's easy to memorize and you can get through menus very quickly on the V1. Much as I thought I disliked it (and still believe FW would fix a lot), hindsight is 20/20 and it never stopped me from getting a shot.

It's an easy camera to use and let others use. My girlfriend took the pic below a few weeks ago.

Anyways, after being very critical of Nikon for several months here are some real positive take-aways after using other cameras.

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow