Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?
eGlobalDigitalStore - UK experience
7 months ago

I thought prospective UK customers might find this helpful - my experience with buying from eGlobal.

Short version - I'm happy, but the transaction wasn't entirely smooth. And changes to their terms and conditions mean they're less attractive.

Purchase

Fuji X100s. Normal UK prices are in the area of £990. eGlobal had it for £667, with a £5 voucher for liking their FB page, so £662 (for comparison, DigitalRev were about £750). Their site said explicitly that there would be no VAT/Import duty: so far so good. Free shipping in UK, even better. Placed order, got acknowledgements and a tracking number within a few hours. Estimated shipping was 6-8 working days (paid shipping at £15 would have been 3-5). Warranty (eGlobal's own) is 24 months. Also, 14-day return.

Shipping

6 (working) days later, I got an email from Customs Clearance Ltd asking me to pay £165.09 VAT, duty and a small admin fee. Unhappy me.

Emailed eGlobal, who responded within a day telling me to ignore the email, and that they'd pay. Checked tracking and, hey presto, package had cleared customs. Happy me, well done eGlobal.

Delivery

Took another 5 days to arrive (the free shipping service isn't quick) and the tracking number didn't provide any further info.

Good: low price (*very* low price), free shipping, quick fix to the import issues

Not so good: import issues, although resolved, did generate some angst; unable to get further tracking info after customs clearance

Overall - 4.5 out of 5, and I'd have been happy to use them again.

BUT

As of 19 December, they've changed T&Cs - import duties etc are now formally the customer's responsibility - which more or less kills their price-competitiveness in the UK.

Finally - eGlobal, in common with all their direct competitors, source their items outside normal distribution channels, so no UK warranty, possibly no English documentation etc. I'm OK with that, based on my past experience with grey imports, but not everyone is.

Hope this helps

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow