USM or STM for 70d?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600Gear list
Like?
Re: USM or STM for 70d?
In reply to Dj Noir, 8 months ago

I've literally had the 17-55 for a few hours and I can tell you that the IS can be noisy. I bought it second hand and when I met up with the seller, we were outdoors next to a busy highway so I didn't hear it. However, once inside my home, I EASILY heard the IS engage, work, and disengage. I thought there was something wrong with the lens as my 15-85 makes basically no noise at all. A quick Google search calmed my fears though, apparently it's normal for the 17-55.
But, for video in quiet rooms, you're going to hear it if yours makes this same noise (apparently some are louder than others).
Image quality wise, I haven't compared the TWO head to head, but based on the few pics I've taken the 17-55 is definitely capable of taking nicer images than my 15-85. Based on the measurbating I've done on photozone.de, the 15-85 is equal to or better than the 18-135mm STM in image quality. So, I would guess the 17-55 is capable of taking noticeably better pics than the 18-135 STM. Conversely, video will be quieter with smoother transitions when using AF when using the 18-135 STM.
So, if video OR having an all in one lens is important, the 18-135 STM is your answer. If not, the 17-55 is second to none!

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
If -New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow