Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,181
Like?
The DF Saga - It's A Nikon Thing
7 months ago

I don't love or hate the DF but am puzzled. Nikon seems to have lost its way over recent years - or at least since the halcyon years of the D3, D700 and D300/s. Only the D3 has been replaced by like-for-like cameras to date (first by the D3s and then by the D4). It's no wonder that the D700 is still being used by many and the D300s seems to be still available to buy new. Both cameras still command relatively high prices on the used market.

While Nikon has released some worthwhile and relevant DX models, its FX strategy seems highly flawed. For example: The pro D4 is a fantastic sports journalist camera but fails to address the photographers need/desire to snap and crop. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Canon still dominates the sports event market. To underline this rumours are rife about a new body currently being manufactured in Japan ready for the Winter Olympics (and perhaps freeing up a large number of D4 sensors...).

The reverse happened with the D800 in that it offered 2 versions of a 36mp camera to a consumer market that would seldom use such a high resolution. Canon on the other hand stuck with smaller but very effective mp counts. At the time this was released I commented that this must be the next D3x but in a more user-friendly price and size.

Then of course came the Nikon 1 series which I understand has failed in market terms - very badly (Nikon should have teamed up with Fuji years ago). And now we have the DF. DPR have given it a very middling review while Huff is beside himself apparently because he likes smaller cameras. Other pro photag reviews have been generally guarded. And of course the DF houses the now redundant D4 sensor... My only real complaint about the DF is its very high price comparative to other Nikon FX prices and features offered.

Along the way any have also experienced notable quality problems even with one camera (D600) being replaced by another (D610) which is the same but apparently problem-free.

It's become an almighty mess and a major reason I believe why so many have been lukewarm over the DF whose release seems to add to the confusion and disappointment.  Back in 2008 I moved from Canon to Nikon after the 1D MK III (I returned 2 examples) fiasco and thankfully the release of the brilliant D3 and D700. I've since moved to the D3s, still have my D700 and acquired a walkabout Fuji X20. I filled my larger mp gap with a 5D MK II which I am currently selling to upgrade. The DF is way too expensive but the D610 or 6D could fit the bill and at the right price level (with benefits/features lacking in the DF). I'm looking for function more than form...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow