Started Dec 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
I love my D600 for Sports
Dec 21, 2013

I am overly excited about my D600 for sports. I have been shooting high school sports for many years, the last two with a D3s, previous to that a D700. My lens are 300mm, 400mm, and 70-200mm, depends on which of the 13 sports I cover for my local high school. I just don't just photograph once or twice a week, I photograph 5 times a week, several teams each day. I've shot in fair and the worst of weather, in bright sun and in the worst lighted stadium you can imagine. So, telling you that the D600 performed like a champ is not something I say casually. Let me tell you why the D3s may be collecting dust in the future, not.

I have been on the sideline with the D600. You guys complained about dust and oil on the shutter. And, for that reason, I was not considering it as a backup to my D700, which I sold because it was a step child to the D3s. Well, I took a chance on the D600 because my thought was that with 24+mp, it would be a more flexible camera than the 12 mp D3s. I would mount the 70-200mm f2.8 VR and I could crop the image and still get a very respectable photo showing the action. Well, I used it for HS basketball tonight, and I was stunned at its image quality. Now, the pros and cons with the D600 vs the D3s.

Pros: 24 mp gives lots of shooting flexibility especially with the 70-200mm lens, low noise at ISO 6400, and lighter and smaller body. Less expensive than the D3s. Great signal to noise at high ISO, great color and contrast.

Cons: Smaller body than the D3s (with grip as part of the camera) was hard getting used to. The D3s is a hefty camera, but it feels good because I could wrap all my fingers on the grip. Slow focusing in AF-C. Shutter lags more than the D3s. These two attributes are very important when I am shooting basketball or volleyball because I am much closer to the action than football and baseball. Low burst rate, but most of the time I timed the action, which is why I need to get used to the shutter lag.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow