Why ETTR?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604Gear list
Like?
Re: Why ETTR?
In reply to Ysbrand Galama, 4 months ago

Ysbrand Galama wrote:

Can someone explain to me why I should expose to the right (ETTR) in low light conditions.

Let's take an example to explain what I do not understand. Let's say my camera measures F2.0, 1/50th and ISO 800 (no over- or under exposure). I want to ETTR so I set my camera to F2.0, 1/50th and ISO 1600.

Why would ISO 1600 give better results than ISO 800? I maybe exposing to the right, but also the sensor noise increases, negating the effect.

I must be missing something.

Y.

It seems that you are using ISO as an EXPOSURE variable, which it isn't.   (You are not alone!)

To better understand the mechanics of ETTR read Gollywop's excellent two page article on Exposure vs Brightening.

With a mirrorless camera proper ETTR (using blinkies/live view histogram as your primary exposure aid and your meter as a secondary) helps a lot when shooting wide luminance range subjects in RAW.

ETTR is NOT meant for JPEG use.

Gollywop will help you a lot!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow