Just unwrapped a 12-40mm lens...wow is an understatement.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
Re: Just unwrapped a 12-40mm lens...wow is an understatement.
In reply to lambert4, 11 months ago

lambert4 wrote:

I sold old my PL25mm, Oly 12-50, Oly 45 and bought this beauty based on user thoughts and need for something faster and wider than the 12-50 allowed. I have to say it is the most stout feeling lens I have picked up for the micro four thirds system. I have the 35-100/2.8 and love it I really struggled as many here have with the 12-35 Panasonic or 12-40 Olympus. For me the close focusing distance and new in camera CA correction is a big deal.

i have yet to download the images but the quick snapshots I am chomping on my EM5 look as good as any of my other lens. And the AF is lightening quick. The size is bigger than I expected but in a very acceptable way the large diameter makes MF smoother, and the dampening on the zoom ring and focus ring is exceptional (firm yet smooth). The snap focus ring functions just like the 17/1.8 but the focus seems more intuitive and less "by wire".

so far I am extremely happy. Hopefully there will be a few images to share soon. I really thought about the EM1 combo either for monetary savings on a lens or because newer is always better (joking) but honestly this lens on the EM5 even with no HLD-6 grip is really nice and secure.

I cannot wait for some shutter time now to get out and play. I tried to use the 12-50 a few more times this past month hoping to convince myself it was sufficient at the wide end, but alas I just didn't connect. this is a serious improvement, and the close focus is within a inch of the hood even at 40mm I am not a macro guy but liked the ability to get in tight sometimes this is more than enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

The 12-40 F2.8 is by far my favorite.

Look up the definition of "quality", and you might see a picture of that lens.

kcamacho11's gear list:kcamacho11's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow