Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevenwei
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Choosing the GM1 over the GX7?
8 months ago

I recently purchased both the Panasonic GM1 and the GX7 (body-only) to replace my aging G3. My original intention was to take the lens from the GM1 and pair it with the GX7 along with my current 20mm f1.7, and sell the GM1 body.

But now after having traveled for a bit with the GX7 I'm starting to wonder if I should keep the GM1 instead! This was a bit of a surprise to me, as having tried out both, the GX7 is most definitely the functionally superior camera. It has the tilting screen, viewfinder, IBIS, longer battery life, and much better ergonomic handling, all of which I would be giving up by switching to the GM1.

However, I will be traveling a lot with the camera, and that means the smaller size of the GM1 is a huge plus. It's much lighter, so when I'm not using it it will weigh down my bag less, and it's small enough to fit in my jacket pocket, while the GX7 is not. Just the past few days there have been several instances where I decided not to take the GX7 out with me because I would have needed to bring a bag to carry it. If I took the GM1 on this trip, it likely would have been in my jacket pocket the entire time, and I would have been able to take advantage of more photo opportunities.

I'm having trouble making the decision cause the GX7 really is a great camera. But perhaps it's better to have a good camera with you 100% of the time, compared to having a great camera with you 50% of the time. Thoughts?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow