Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MostlyUnoriginal
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Ancient Nikkor on X-E2
7 months ago

I have a few nikkors kicking around, including a very old pre-AI 50/f1.4 from my grandfather's Nikkormat ftn. After picking up a $15 fotasy adapter, I've been playing a bit with using the nikkors on the X-E2, and have been really pleased with how well it works, especially the ease of manual focussing (I just press the control wheel for a zoomed in view and rock the focus back and forth until it's right, having not found the peaking or split image functions all that useful).

Here's one from that very old nikkor (just a very informal, non-artistic lens test):

1/250 f2.0 ISO400 (handheld)

All-in-all I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially since this is from a lens that goes for $80 at KEH in EX condition. I think the sharpness and blur characteristics are pretty good, especially for portraits. Incidentally, I found this old nikkor to perform better than the much newer af-d version (the latter had quite a bit more purple friinging and everything else was very similar).

My only other experience with using non-system lenses was with Hasselblad CF lenses on a Nikon D700. That just never worked very well, largely because the lenses are so slow and the image circle so much larger that it was really easy to get washed out images from all the extra light bouncing around inside the adapter. This experience, on the other hand, has been a pleasure. In fact, it seems like the ability to use such a huge variety of legacy lenses with cheap adapters would be near the top of my list of reasons to stay with an aps-c fuji if ever a full-frame version were released.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share for any who might be interested in using old nifty-fifties on their new fujis

-- hide signature --
 MostlyUnoriginal's gear list:MostlyUnoriginal's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow