Manual Focus & Recompose vs. Compose & Focus -- better with touchscreen?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
Manual Focus & Recompose vs. Compose & Focus -- better with touchscreen?
8 months ago

Hi all,

I gather lots of people use Focus & Recompose when shooting. But Compose & Focus strikes me as more sensible, and for several reasons (especially when shooting with a fast lens and nearby subjects).

The trouble I have with Compose & Focus is when I want to use Focus Assist to zoom in on the detail I want to focus on. Sure, sometimes that detail may be at dead-center -- but it usually isn't.

So then I have to move the magnify window -- and with my NEX-7, I find this fiddly and slow -- it just interrupts the flow of my thinking.

For those of you shooting with NEX'es that have touchscreens -- does the touchscreen make a substantial difference?

I thought it was weird when the NEX-7 came out and didn't include a touchscreen -- but even the later NEX-6 didn't have one.

And now the lack of touchscreen is helping me take a pause to consider getting an A7/A7r (or waiting). Why is Sony taking such a hodgepodge approach to touch?

Anyhow -- I'm guessing that a touchscreen must be helpful when it comes to Compose and Focus shooting -- and so I'm curious how NEX shooters with touchscreens feel about that?

And if you have a touchscreen on your NEX, are you hesitant to get an A7/A7r without one?

Thanks!  -Scott

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow