Sigma 24-105mm f4 OS A vs Canon 50mm f1.4 on Canon 70D

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,543Gear list
Like?
Re: big fan of EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 on APS-C
In reply to NancyP, 7 months ago

NancyP wrote:

Yes, there is a place for the generalist zoom lens. One of the situations in which I use my 60D and 15-85mm the most is hiking on unfamiliar trails. The weight advantage of not taking a huge selection of primes is worth some not-perfect optics. On the other hand, if I know what shot I intend to make, then an appropriate prime (if I have one) can be taken. I don't have a full collection of modern primes, and have been horsing around with legacy lenses, M42 mount (various makes) and manual Nikkors sitting around the house. They aren't perfect either, but I like learning about their characteristics in the digital arena.

I have been considering one of the generalist normal zoom lenses for FF for my 6D. I bought a used prime for it instead of a normal zoom lens costing the same, because the used prime was my dream landscape lens, Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZE. I love wide angle, and this lens has great color, contrast, sharpness wide open to diffraction!

The 15-85 is on my camera most of the time, because of the convenience in carrying just one lens; but 75% of the use is in the 15-24mm range. I also use specific lenses for certain types of photography, e.g. for my dragonfly shoots I only have the 4/300IS and Sigma 2.8/150 with me. I don't have an FF body (yet), but if I purchase one it would be for when I know what I'm going to shoot like macro/nature (don't need new lenses for that) and landscape/architecture (need one top quality SWA prime for that).

For 'walkaround' I may use a smaller/lighter setup like m43, and ditch the whole 'standard zoom' concept on FF. But with current prices for the 24-105 it's easy to try if one can accept the compromises of such a zoom, and if the benefit in IQ is big enough to carry a bigger/heavier camera all the time. But my impression from all the forum discussions is that the benefit compared to a good m43 system (camera with 12-40 zoom and possibly one bright prime) may be too small  for general use (i.e. in decent light, without tripod, with little time to plan ahead for your shots).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow