New Pany/Fuji sensor, larger format possible?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447Gear list
Like?
New Pany/Fuji sensor, larger format possible?
7 months ago

So i recently posted some theories of what COULD be going on, however far fetched it might be. Olympus is partnering with sony, which is kind of a double whammy when you think about it. Sony makes sensors, so does Panasonic, which makes them imaging competitors as well as both being competitors in the mirrorless field. DPR has an article outlining the new organic sensor that Pany and Fuji are co-developing. If you want to discuss it further, HERE it is. I am however interested in starting with one point in particular.

It says in the article, the new sensor allows them to mount lenses closer to the sensor than current tech, thanks to the new sensor being able to receive light from steeper angles. This seems the most interesting point, because if the flange distance is different, don't they HAVE to use something different? I mean they could use adapters, but that is never as good as a dedicated mount/lens lineup. This got me thinking that perhaps they could split with Olympus and create a new mount, speculation of course. But i had a question for anybody who knows the ins and outs of light angles and mount clearance. Does the closer mounted lenses allow them to slap in a bigger sensor while keeping the same MFT mount? It would seem as i picture it in my head, the closer the sensor is to the mount, the wider the angle of light hitting it. APSC for example, should still have plenty of direct clearance, and if it was closer to the lens, it could work.

I don't know how their lenses would work with vignetting and all, but it's just a thought. As a result of all the news, it just seems as though their partnership with Olympus is now a bit awkward with Sony being on the other side. Plus, of all companies, Pany teams up with Fuji who are well known for competing against Sony over decades in imaging. Sony on one side, Two smaller imaging companies on the other. The link is Olympus and Panasonic, but this just seems like a conflict of interest. If this is true, and if they were going to separate, what could they do? They share a mount with Olympus, so aside from Olympus adopting a Sony mount or Panasonic changing to a new mount, what could be the outcome?

This website is free, so are our opinions, so lets have em. If you think this is all a load of poo and speculation, feel free to move along. If you have something interesting to add, i'd love to hear it. One more interesting thing from the article, with less wasted surface area on sensor, 41mp apsc is mentioned. What's funny is there is no mention of a MFT sensor resolution, only mobile phones and APSC. Could they be planning to jump to the Fuji X mount? Fuji afterall has a superb lineup of lenses, albeit a bit small ATM. They did afterall just include their first IBIS in the GX7. Preparing for a lineup of all non stabilized lenses??

Sound off !!

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow