ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dog house riley
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
New to DP need some wisdom.
9 months ago

Hello folks;

I'm new to DP although I have been reading posts for about a month and just got "hooked" up on it.      I'm retired in my late 60s, used Nikon for many years film and recently [mid 2000s] digital, now before everyone lights on me like a duck on a june bug, I'm not wealthy so expensive and heavy lenses are out. What I'm looking for is I have two cameras a D200 and a D700, my equipment is very modest, most lenses were purchased used, in last couple years i sold off some old film lenses and bought the 28 1.8 and 85 1.8 lenses and along with my Nikon 35 135 AF lens, I'm happy on my D700, my D200 I'm currently using a Nikon 24 50 AF lens works ok, but! looking for wisdom to get a better lens, this one about 20 years old used on my N90s, and 8008s before, so I do have old "stuff"

In past month or so reading posts here on DP review I've read about the 16 35, 24 120 and so forth well these are out of my budget but what kind of a lens could I get to use on my D200? to capitalize on Nikons recent "pure photography" theme I kind of put myself in that mold, one lens my D200 and get out to let the "juices " flow. To tell the truth I'm not to keene on digital language, of cameras and lenses, so go easy on me.

Now for you old classic movie buffs, my name on here will be "dog house riley" you have to know your old movies to recognize that handle!

If you recommend a lens i might have to buy or at least think used. I have read on Nikons 17 55 but "ouch" I'd have to sell my first born to get one and its too heavy, I have a series of health problems so I won't go out with loads of heavy camera equipment.

So run some ideas past me, I just love my old D200, I hope to use it till they build a bridge across the Atlantic,I don't understand the newer cameras, I don't print I might e-mail a photo to a friend but i shoot and have them on the monitor,and its just my entertaiment, and I'm not very computer savvy either.I have had Sigma and Tamron lenses in the past so if they have something "snappy" for my D200 I'd like to know one has had my interest lately, the Sigma 18 35 1.8? that sounds kind of neat, my favorite focal length is 35mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my history, I look forward to getting some information.

Dog house riley.

dog house riley's gear list:dog house riley's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Canon EOS 100D +9 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow