Focus & AFMA Tests: Use "Spot AF" or "1-Point AF"?

Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
entlassen
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Focus & AFMA Tests: Use "Spot AF" or "1-Point AF"?
Dec 19, 2013

On the Canon 5D Mark III, should a user testing a lens for focus & AF micro-adjustment be using "Spot AF" or "1-Point AF" when shooting the target? In particular:

1) If I use the LensAlign ruler and properly setup my camera so that I see the red alignment dot through the hole, should I be using Spot or 1-Point to shoot that target?

2) I was reading Focal's PDF documentation and they specifically say that Canon cameras should use 1-Point and not Spot, but they don't give a reason why. Can anybody explain why?

3) Could anyone please explain in general how using either Spot or 1-Point could influence these lens focus tests? If there's a "correct" choice, what is the reasoning/mechanics behind how the "incorrect" choice might corrupt the test results?

4) When the lens is set to manual focus, is there any difference whatsoever in choosing Spot/1-Point/4-Point/9-Point/Zone/Auto/etc.? I thought I'd ask because on page 112 of the 5DM3 manual, the section called "Manual Focusing", it says "with 61-point automatic selection, when the center AF point achieves focus, the focus confirmation light [dot] will light up." This line gave me a little bit of pause because by mentioning the 61-point automatic selection system in the "Manual Focusing" section of the manual, they seem to be implying that the AF system is somehow still in effect?

5) Would a difference in ISO affect AMA results? For example if you shoot indoors and need to bump the ISO up a bit, will doing so skew/corrupt the focus tests?

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow