Brings back the fun of experimenting with photography!

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jamesbond6668
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Brings back the fun of experimenting with photography!
9 months ago

As soon as I saw this camera was coming out I pre-ordered it and got it just days after it was released (thanks Amazon!). First impressions was excitement! I was happy with the small size of the camera compared to my D4 which I'd been using the last year. And to the D700 with grip, I'd been using the 2 years before that. I immediately ordered and now have the leather case cover for it that really makes it look retro. I got the silver instead of the black, as the silver to me looks even more old style. This is the first silver camera I've owned in many many years. My D4 had to go to the Nikon repair center for some minor re-glueing of the material around the right side that was coming off so that was perfect timing for me to do some shoots with the Df. I find it very easy to use (easier the more I use it as with all cameras), and it never slowed me down. (I must admit the first thing I do with a new camera is charge the battery, and read the entire manual that comes with it!)

The shots are beautiful of course as it's the D4 sensor…..but I find the shots have a slightly creamy, soft, radiance (in a good way) than the D4. Can't put my finger on it but I can tell the difference. I'm really liking this by the way. I got out an old 50mm 1.4 Nikon lens I'd bought for kicks many years back on eBay and put that one and it really makes the camera look retro, plus I'm digging the super thin depth of field with that lens. This combo is giving me some beautiful portrait shots….looks way different than what I'm used to getting with my 24-70 and 70-200 lenses…..which of course look great, but I'm having fun again experimenting. Will probably get out my 16mm Nikkor lens and play with that more now.

Pros:

Having most of the settings right on top makes it very easy to see what the settings are on at a quick glance. I also like the face I can hold down the buttons on the back and with a turn of the dial swap out many more settings. Fast and easy. Biggest PRO: Awesome images!

Cons:

Not many downsides here….the general feel of the camera is a little on the thin, light, cheaper quality of materials feel. If you've ever held an old film camera from the 70's, 80's you'll know what I mean. Those babies were built to last…this doesn't build my confidence as a metal solid material. The aperture setting knob is flat on the front and not easy to reach…you can roll it with one finger with practice but I have this feeling that knob will wear out that way, much faster than reaching around and turning it. The biggest Con I've found is that the door on the bottom for the batter/memory SD card…is so loosely attached that once I opened it and reaching for the battery etc…on the counter…the door just fell off. Why this is so flimsily attached, I don't know.

I've seen all the reviews on YouTube and it seems the photographers that remember the old film days with a fondness of the past, truly dig the look and feel of the Df. I guess I fall under that spell…..

I will continue to use my D4 in the studio, but will probably be using the Df in most on location shoots…especially at cars shows and events where the lighter camera won't slow me down.

I give this camera 5 stars and have had it for only a few weeks and already know I'll be using it a lot, and very glad I bought it.

To read about all the cameras I've used in my lifetime….yes, a lot…..check out my block and scroll down a bit to posting #8 My Camera Addiction

Excuse the quality of this shot as it was a quick iPhone grab…..this is the Df with leather cover and old 50mm 1.4….the 1.8G lens that comes with the kit isn't worth the extra cost…IMHO….

. http://masterphotographyblog.blogspot.com

-- hide signature --

www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

Jamesbond6668's gear list:Jamesbond6668's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Jamesbond6668's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow