Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Southworth
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
Stylus 1 exposure metering observations
9 months ago

I've had my Stylus 1 several days, and am generally very pleased.  I have noticed that using matrix metering (ESP in Olympus terminology) tended to underexpose in low light conditions.  I ran an experiment comparing matrix and center average metering for both high and low brightness conditions.

I shot a color checker chart in outdoor bright light and indoor dim light, both matrix and center average.  The four test shots are attached - my conclusion is matrix metering on the Stylus 1 is set to render a dim scene dimly, i.e. to some degree as our eyes perceive the scene.  Using center average resulted in essentially equal exposure in both bright and dim conditions.

To Olympus old timers, is this the expected result or something unique with the Stylus 1?  I've had several Nikon, Canon and Panasonic cameras and don't remember this characteristic with any.  I owned an XZ1 a few years ago, and also don't remember similar metering, although I'm not sure I ever carefully evaluated.

Richard Southworth

ESP Bright

ESP Dim

Avg Bright

Avg Dim

Richard Southworth's gear list:Richard Southworth's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow