Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RafNikon
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon 85mm 1.8G focus problems
Dec 19, 2013

I just got back into photography again. I recently purchased a D7000 + 18-140mm lens (BB deal over black friday)

The kit lens is nice and all, but I wanted a faster lens with better IQ.

After some research I decided to purchase the 85mm 1.8G. Due to an amazon deal I also purchased the 35mm 1.4 Sigma Art.

I received both lenses yesterday, and I tried them on my D7000. I understand that being a 85mm lens, you need enough space for the autofocus to work (2.6 feet aprox), but the lens was not focusing at 3 or 4 feet either.

I could only focus using the single point focus and even with that when I depressed the camera shutter half way did not lock on the  focus. ( I tried different focus combinations in the camera, plus different subjects)

I then tried the sigma lens and I did not any problem at all(this lens is know to be problematic with focus,, or at least that is what people complain about)

I believe that the lens is not functioning properly. Is this normal behavior for this lens.?

In addition, aside from the focal length, I licked the 35mm pictures better than the 1.8G. It melts the background so beautifully, and it sugarcoats the subject.

So I need some help:

1-Is the 85mm not functioning properly

2-If not, will a functioning lens give me similar picture quality results than the sigma? (probably not as the focus should not have anything to do with it unless I have a fake all together)

3- Is there any other nikon mount lens that would have similar picture qualities to the sigma with a focal length of 50mm or higher (zoom is ok too)

The sigma lens cost me "only" 200$ more over the 1.8g and this may be skewing my value/price determination as in theory the sigma should be twice as much. I picked the lenses based on reviews on sharpness and bokeh.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon D7000 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow