Why so much animosity between DSLR users and mirrorless uers?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Why so much animosity between DSLR users and mirrorless uers?
10 months ago

I understand the internet is a place where people like to argue for no good reason, but it seems like the normal brand wars (Canon v. Nikon v. Sony etc.) have been subsumed by seemingly more virulent format wars (DSLR vs. ILC vs. superzooms vs. smartphones etc.).  There have been many threads either bashing the smaller formats for being unprofessional or useless or the bigger DSLRs for being dated and predicting their imminent demise.

So my question is, why?  Aren't they largely best used for different purposes?  Aren't many people using cameras from more than one (if not all) of those categories?  I would find it weird for people on a car forum to claim that the 1-ton pickup is so vastly superior to the compact hybrid that hybrid drivers are all stupid (or vice-versa).  Or to see a computer forum where the desktop users, laptop users, and tablet users all argued about how theirs was the ultimate computing platform.  Are cameras different for some reason?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow