Forum ProPosts: 16,593
Like?
Re: Hardly slow selling for Ricoh
In reply to photoreddi, 4 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Time will tell, but I don't think so. There's still a strong demand for the GR. That's something the Coolpix A never had. I bet Nikon will discontinue the A before Ricoh discontinues the GR.

Don't be too sure. Amazon and B&H still have the GR in stock but Adorama doesn't, and instead of saying "Out of stock", they show no price and say "We’re sorry, this item is no longer available."

It's hard to tell whether the GR was a big success or not much of a success, despite a general assumption that it was selling well. But the GR LE was supposedly limited to 5,000 copies, worldwide, sold directly by Pentax/Ricoh. Yet after a month they started appearing from many camera dealers in the USA, Canada and the UK, so unless Ricoh wasn't being honest and produced more than the claimed 5,000, the GR LE didn't sell as well as Ricoh assumed it would.

The only positive I can see from this is that there may soon be a GR VI in the works. If so, I wonder if it will use the same lens. It would be interesting to see a GR with a 21mm or a 35mm lens, but that would be a real tradition changer. A 21mm version would probably be more popular with DSLR owners.

I think it quite genuine that Ricoh production could not keep up wit the demand for the GR for months. There seems to be no "bad news" about the camera and those that have one have been generally pleased. My guess is that Ricoh is after some market penetration, rather more than before, but still not very much of course. We would not wish to be carrying the same camera as everyone else we see would we?

Maybe not me or thee, but there seems to be an awful lot of people hereabouts that want everyone to want to use the camera that they use.

Well thats natural of course - the sort of satisfaction that because they bought something then seeing others buy the same thing means that they were smart.

Also "the uniform principle" - if you can encourage others to join the club then you are the member of a big club and get all the supporters benefits - the rosy glow that your team is "winning".

And nobody ever got fired by recommending IBM.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
$635New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow