Is Thom Hogan correct?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,136
Like?
Re: Is Thom Hogan correct?
In reply to golf1982, 4 months ago

Thom Hogan is still living in the age of film when one could get a F100 instead of a F3 camera. It would be nice to have a D4 junior but that is not how Nikon or Canon have been producing cameras. They both have distinct pro and consumer lines of cameras and the confusion arises with a camera like the Df that is a stripped down D4 that is hobbled to keep it from cannibalizing sales of the D4.

My first D1 cost me $5500 as compared to my last F5 which cost me $1700. Now more than 10 years later the top of the line Nikon camera still costs $5500. These are basically computers but unlike computers the cost has not gone down one penny in the past decade. Neither Canon or Nikon want to give up the very profitable flagship cameras profit margins so cameras like the Df and 5D are designed so as not to compete head on with the D4 and 1d X cameras.

From a marketing and profit maximization perspective what Nikon and Canon are doing makes perfect sense.

People should be asking how it is that Nikon can produce a camera with the sensor and signal processing capabilities of the D610 and sell it for $2000 and yet require that customers spend an additional $3500 to get a vertical grip and 10 fps. Hard to see the justification for the huge price gap.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow