Tablet for 70D critical focus checking, was thinking Kindle HDX 8.9"...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bugbait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023Gear list
Like?
Tablet for 70D critical focus checking, was thinking Kindle HDX 8.9"...
10 months ago

I am wondering what solution any of you have come to regarding this. I would appreciate any commentary on your solutions or approach to the following, perhaps even wired?

I had planned to buy an HD tablet or phablet, that is either a Kindle HDX 8.9 " (Special financing Offer. ) or perhaps a Galaxy Note 3, primarily for confirming general and critical focus of images in the field as this is helpful to ensure I get the shots before moving on to other positions or locations. These are small wildlife images so a lot of cropping is usually involved and a zooming into the image to for instance squirrel or woodpecker eye view is needed or to be certain I have the entire bug in focus. Do to limited skill and lack of transportation options I only get a few really good photographic opportunities and knowing for certain I have the shoots before moving on is important.

I won't have the 70D until late spring but trying to figure out and possibly buy the monitor solution in the next couple months.

The comments from the DPR review about the WiFi capabilities of the 70D makes it sound like you would have to upload to the cloud via a cellphone and then download the full resolution image before you could actually see the entire JPG. Perhaps this would be too slow to be useful. I do shoot RAW but would shoot both if necessary.

DPR Review for 70D

"From the image review section of the app you can rate images stored on the SD card and email or save 1920 x 1280 S2 JPEG versions to your device's image gallery. These are handy, but not useful for critical image analysis since you can't get an accurate idea of focus accuracy from such small files.

Transferring full resolution JPEG images to the web is possible, but only from the camera itself. To do that you must first use Canon's EOS Utility software (supplied with the 70D) to configure a compatible web service like Canon's Image Gateway, Facebook or Twitter with the 70D connected to a computer via USB. Once configured, you can then upload single or multiple images via Wi-Fi at either full size, S2 or S3 resolution settings."

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow