Started Dec 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dlee723
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Thoughts on the A7r and GM1
Dec 19, 2013

Disclaimer: This seems to be a sensitive topic and this isn’t meant to be a post on the superiority of one system. I just wanted to share some of my impressions from using the smallest FF and m4/3 camera.

After using the A7r for a few weeks, I love it. You get amazing image quality and it’s half the weight of a D800. I can use small rangefinder lenses and the 35/2.8 is ridiculously light without sacrificing image quality. It’s perfect for what I bought it for, which was getting top quality landscape image quality without being a hiking burden. All that being said…the A7r doesn’t qualify as a compact camera. Sure it’s small for a FF, but it pretty dense and has a fair sized footprint. Is it better than lugging around a slr, sure…but is it something I can throw in a pocket and take it to dinner or a party? Nope

The GM1 on the other hand is TINY. You can see the relative size in the picture by the usb stick next to it. It’s almost like a toy camera. But it does have a m4/3 sensor and use any of the lenses for that system. I’ve owned a RX100, which is slightly smaller, but was never completely satisfied with the performance above iso 800. The larger m4/3 sensor of the GM1 definitely shows an improvement at higher iso over the RX100. From a size perspective, the GM1 is too big to go in a pant pocket but it’s perfectly fine for a jacket. As an added bonus, it has fast AF and it works well in low light.

Does it have A7r image quality? Not really…it’s fine for posting on the web or just general social documenting but it doesn’t really come close at full scale details or low light performance. This brings me to my realization. There’s not one camera to rule them all. Each camera makes compromises to excel in certain areas. The D800 isn’t designed for sports photography just as much as the D4 isn’t really designed for landscape photography. I’m very happy with both of my new purchases because they complement each other well. Next week, I’m going on a national park road trip and plan on taking both cameras with me. The A7r will do the heavy lifting and the GM1 will capture casual moments.

I really do think there’s too much focus on brand and defending the technology you have. It’s alright to try new stuff. Who knows, it may inspire you to take pictures in new situations.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow