ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
RAF Sharpening Method in Iridient Developer
10 months ago

Hi all,

I know a lot of people here have started using Iridient Developer for their RAW conversions. I have to say, I am still using Lightroom for most conversions because it is easy, but I'm often blown away when I pull an image into ID.

I've been experimenting with the different sharpening methods available in ID and I have to say, I like the effect of the R-L Deconvolution (short for Richardson-Lucy). My understanding is that the R-L algorithm is more of an image reconstruction algorithm used for things like reconstructing images from the Hubble Telescope. It is supposed to be good at correcting the blur from Bayer filters, which the Fujis don't have, but it just seems to be the best sharpening method anyway. I suppose this is because de-mosaicing is a process that can still benefit from reconstruction.

I've processed a single image from my X100S with three of the methods available and have uploaded them here at 100%. Take a look and see which looks better to you (even if you don't have Iridient Developer). I've also linked to the RAF file for anyone who would like to try this on their own. The RAW file was boosted by .33 stops and the shadows were boosted to 100 on the ID tool for all images. This image is also processed using the Capture One standard curve that Brian, the developer, posted here with the Velvia ICC profile that another forum member created.  All sharpening selections were at the ID defaults.

Here is the ID default, Hybrid Sharpening:

Hybrid Sharpening

Here is a standard Unsharp Mask:

Unsharp Mask

And here is the Richardson-Lucy Deconvolution:

Richardson-Lucy Deconvolution

Finally, here is a link to the RAF file .

I'm interested to know what others are using as well as any input on these versions. Clearly, it will make the most sense to view the full-size image for this comparison.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow