Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian in Montana
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Mission Valley Birding
7 months ago

The Mission Valley sits south of Flathead Lake in northwest Montana. The area includes the National Bison Range, a stretch of the Flathead River, numerous farms and ranches and plenty of gravel roads. It's bounded on the east by the rugged Mission Mountains and on the west by rolling hills. My wife and I like to visit there about once a week to photograph the wildlife and scenery, and we have now collected a year's worth of photos which we will compile into a book as our memento. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I highly recommend a visit to the Bison Range, where you're sure to see bison (of course), pronghorn antelope, deer and a variety of birds. We have also observed black bears, elk, bighorn sheep, coyotes, a wolf (once) and some smaller animals. A mountain lion has been seen a number of times this year, but not by us.

So as not to bore any further - while out yesterday hoping to catch the big game, we came away without (mostly - saw plenty of deer and the lone coyote in shot #1), but managed to get a few decent bird shots. The raptors were being particularly patient. I have included a couple of shots from the previous visit a week earlier. Hope you enjoy!

Regards, Brian

Coyote on the hunt

GBH looking sullen in the cold

Perching shrike

Dark phase raptor

Rough legged hawk

Evidence of a recent meal on the beak

EagleĀ 1

Eagle 2

Cheers!

Brian in Montana's gear list:Brian in Montana's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +19 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow