Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,991
Like?
Brief experience with FZ70
7 months ago

I caught one when the price dropped to $250, which is not as good a deal as Vickie's, but quite decent for the camera.

It's sort of the South Park of the FZ series

Wider than FZ200

Full W/A. FZ200 (left), FZ70 (right)

Closer for closeups. The FZ70 has twice the zoom, but only a 1.5x minimum distance, so the FOV is smaller, even without auxiliary lenses. With diopter lenses, the lens-to-subject distance is the same for both camera, so the FZ70 has half the FOV.

Top row is FZ70, bottom is FZ200

Left-no aux lens @ closest focus

Middle - 500D at closest focus

Right - 500D at infinity focus

I'm carrying it with the E17ED mounted as a "second camera". Here are a few samples from .RW2 with SPPro5 defaults, processed to JPG. Images are full size, without cropping. I could probably have sharpened the higher ISO images at the cost of a bit more noise, but wanted to show you what they're like without any tuning.

The outlet box is 4" tall, at 70' from the camera. Worth looking at the outlet box and the photocell in the lamp at 100%.

The camera holds focus area size permanently (in contrast to FZ200) which is very convenient. Did a nice job here. AFS is fine. The "smarter" AFC,AFF kept hunting for other focus areas even after I had achieved proper focus.

I bought a 3" flipbac

http://www.flipbac.com/angle-viewfinder-about.htm

to protect the LCD. Highly recommended

Yes, I miss the 2.8 and dislike the slow burst, but it gives me long shots I can't get with FZ200.

Sherm

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow