Help Deciding on a m43 for Photo + Video (GX7, E-M1, E-M5)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WC8
WC8
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Help Deciding on a m43 for Photo + Video (GX7, E-M1, E-M5)
10 months ago

I'm looking for a small camera that I can take quality photos & videos indoors (new baby on the way), outdoors on day trips, and longer oversea vacations.  I studied professional videography many years ago so a camera that can do both really gets me excited to get back in the video and video editing game.  I looked into the SL1 but I think the M43 format might be a better way to go.

Ideal Budget: $700-1200 usd (not strict, could be +/-)

Editing tools and apps I'll be using:
 - Adobe CC Photoshop
 - Adobe CC After Effects
 - Adobe CC Premiere Pro
 - iPhoto

Important features:

- Excellent video controls with good af for sports, smooth manual focus for more artsy films.  Sound quality is not very important.

- Video Stabilization: I do have the ability to use the Wrap Stabilizer FX in Adobe, but it would be nice to get a nice stable shot out of the camera.

- Photo stabilization: Though most cameras in this price range should handle this basic function well (?)

- Low light performance without flash

- Durability - Depending on where I take it (hinges on size, weight, and convenience of the camera bag) I might take it along for outdoor adventures.  I live in an area that gets plenty of snow and rain.

Nice features, but not required:
 - Remote
 - Lightweight (for what it is)
 - Bracketing in RAW or goofy HDR features to entertain myself with

So far I've been researching the Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-M1, Olympus E-M5, Canon SL1, Sony NEX 7...

The Olympus E-M1 piques my interest for it's weather resistance and 5-axis stabilization, but some of the sample photos showed the GX7 outperforming it in free-hand situations.  On the video side, however, I believe the GX7 does not have video stabilization so I'd likely have to pass it off to stabilizing within Adobe software.  The E-M1 is a bit high in price if the performance of the GX7 can keep up.  The E-M5 is similar in price to the GX7 but I haven't researched the E-M5 much.

Are there other camera I'm leaving out that I should consider?

Any guesses on which camera will make me a happy shooter?
Thanks for any help or tips!

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow