GX7 vs E-M1 IQ difference?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,748Gear list
Like?
Time to stop
In reply to Baron LaCat, 9 months ago

Baron LaCat wrote:

Thanks to all who responded about Stops.

As always, this forum is extremely helpful when answering questions.

I now more clearly understand the Stop terminology, and so, Seasons Greetings to all.

Baron

Yes, "one stop difference" whatever is being discussed means 1/2 or 2x difference. So that works for aperture where the stop number you see varies by the root 2 law as we talk diameter but the light quantity obeys the area of the opening (remember pi r squared as area of a circle?).

Before the variable diameter iris diaphragm was invented it was sheets of metal interposed in the light path with various sized holes to "stop" the light. (I guess if they had used various sized dead frogs in the lens to alter the light then we would be talking "one dead frog difference").

Anyway... easier with shutter speeds as "one stop" there is half or twice the time period.

Then it gets a bit vaguer as it wanders off into things like dynamic range, noise etc, but generally "one stop" will still mean 1/2 or 2x.

Now when I say "have a Merry Christmas that is one stop better than last year" you know that I am being silly. But see if you can make it happen anyway...

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow