How do you test a camera/lens for image quality while at a shop?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
george4908
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?
How do you test a camera/lens for image quality while at a shop?
8 months ago

I'm sure most of you have been in the same situation -- you read about a camera or lens that interests you, go to a shop to check it out, and find that it's very difficult to make a judgment on site about the image quality.   You're typically in a room with crappy lighting, close quarters, glass and window reflections everywhere, and a salesperson possibly breathing down your neck.  You fire off a couple of shots -- perhaps of the salesman or a hapless customer on the sly -- and about all you can do is review the image on the screen.  Enlarge it, sure, but it's not the same as reviewing it on one's own computer, and having the time to really look at it.  Assessing the difference between two different camera's image quality is, for me at least, well nigh impossible on the spot.

You can certainly get a feel for the camera or lens physically.  Many times a camera that may have seemed appealing on paper turns out not to be when handled in the flesh.  But when it comes to image quality, I'm wondering if I should bring a memory card, shoot some pictures and review it at home.  Either that, or lensrentals.com, I suppose.

How do you deal with this?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow