Started Dec 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dickg1
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
I can't believe I'm really asking this question
Dec 18, 2013

I've been hanging around the Micro Four Thirds forum (and this one more recently), totally secure in my equipment choices and smugly laughing to myself about all the wishy-washy people who write and ask "what camera should I buy" or "what equipment should I take on this trip"?  And I think to myself - "for crying out loud, man up and make a decision - nobody can tell you what to do".

Well, as much as I hate to admit it (even to myself), I now find myself swallowing my pride and asking pretty much the same type of question.

I guess I can best be described as an "enthusiast" photographer who does mostly "fine art" landscape, travel and some architectural photography.  Up until now, I have been quite satisfied with my gear, having switched from Canon full frame to Micro 4/3 some years ago in an effort to lighten the load and simplify my life, and never looked back.  I also print my own work but rarely exceed 16x20.

So why am I writing this thread?  I've just recently bought a Sony RX100II to replace my Canon S110 as my "pocket rocket" and I am absolutely stunned at the image quality this camera can produce.  I've also had an opportunity to play around with the RX10 and took a few shots outside the camera store.  That is one impressive camera - but is it good enough?

Since I can't remember the last time I ever needed to go wider than 24mm or longer than 200mm, I've been trying to figure out if the RX10 could be a legitimate replacement for all the gear I'm still lugging around with me.  I don't particularly like switching lenses or walking around with two cameras hanging around my neck either.

However, my major concern is overall sharpness and useability.  I've read every review that's been published on this camera and compared its sensor to my existing equipment using Imaging Resource's "Comparator".  I realize that the RX10 can't compete with my existing gear at really high ISOs, but I seldom shoot over 800 anyway.

So what I'm really looking for are opinions/evaluations from photographers who are using this camera for similar types of work - that is landscape, travel and architectural, and are serious about image quality.

Thanks in advance to all who respond

dickg1

dickg1's gear list:dickg1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow