Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterTX
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Might need to reconsider my Sony A7?! Need some guidance
9 months ago

I recently got the Sony A7, it is sitting in a box here with me. I love the size and the kit lens (despite all the criticism).

However I realize that there don't seem to be any reasonably priced lenses (with AF) anytime soon. Just saw a statement yesterday where the 70-200 Sony G lens would be priced at $1499. So far there is no prime for it below $800 as well. So the set upI look for would be the kit lens, a prime (with AF and preferably with OSS) and a telephoto lens.

However if I don't use a crop lens, the 55-210 (which won't be able to use the OSS per Sony's information) I am looking at another total cost of $2300 for two lenses for my A7 with the kit lens.

I have today the Canon 28-135 and 50mm 1.4 so if I went the 6D route and added a telephoto lens for $350 after rebate I would get the set up I want for the cost of the A7 with kit lens or less.

I am not a professional, I like to take travel photos, low light and family pictures and the odd telephoto or kid playing soccer picture. Although I love(!) the size and feel of the A7 including picture quality I can not justify spending another $2300 to get a tele photo lens and a prime.

So what would be my options? I need to be able to use AF and if I get a Canon lens 70-300 and use a converter (same for the 50 mm) my understanding is that it would be extremely slow AF which means very hard to take a bird or kid photo. plus the whole set up would be just as big as the 6D and use that natively. I would see the two canon lens to offset but they wouldn't get me more than $300 so still talking another $2k.

So do i have any other options? Please advice!

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow