Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ijm5012
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Question to Panasonic 100-300 Owners
7 months ago

So I'm interested in getting a lens that has some fairly long reach for shooting the occasional wildlife photo, sporting even (hockey game), but really for shooting images when I go to the races. There are two options I'm looking at:

• Panasonic 35-100 with a Sony DH1758 1.7x teleconverter on the end
  • Panasonic 100-300

With the 35-100/DH1758, I end up with a 170mm f/2.8 lens, that is 170mm long and weighs 620g. It's not "small" or "light" by m43 standards, but it's a hell of a lot lighter than APS-C/FF glass, and gives me very good reach. I still need to pursue some more testing to see how the corners perform, as I'm concerned about too much softening occurring, or needing to stop the lens down to get the sharpness needed, or eliminate any potential vignetting.

My other option is to go with the 100-300 made by Panasonic. Obviously this will be far cheaper, by about 50%. My concern is whether or not the aperture is fast enough to use in the lighting conditions presented in the first paragraph. However, my question for the 100-300 owners is, what is the length of the lens when it is fully extended? On Panasonic's site, they list the length when it's at 100mm (126mm long), but don't list the length at it's longest focal length.

I appreciate anyone who could chime in and let me know how long the lens is when at 300mm (and even 250mm as well, since this is likely as far out as I'll go, due to report of the lens softening beyond that).

Thank you for your help!

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow