Why is it not easy to take dinner pics with high end gear and no on-board flash?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zilver
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Why is it not easy to take dinner pics with high end gear and no on-board flash?
4 months ago

Hi guys, a little change from gear talk.

The first cams I remember my father using when I was young was the Canon IXUS compacts that takes nice photos, auto flash, all my old days home pictures in low light were fine.

Today for those who use iPhones or Samsung, etc. also has good enough pictures when at dinners or social outings, again less problem with blur, virtually no shutter lag, plus the auto flash option makes it ok if light too low.

Now for us enthusiast, dinners with friends or family gathering in normal home imperfect or low lighting should be fairly common, but somehow taking these pics with high end mirrorless are one of the most complicated.

Let's take the A7 or OMD for example, no flash (I believe for our crowd we don't want to use flash if not necessary anyway), sometimes in too low a light even at iso 3200 or 6400, shutter still goes too low or people can't stay still causing blur.

I'm sure it has happened to most of us, you can't hand your cameras off to family member and be sure that it will come back with constantly decent pics even in Auto mode, even those cams with on board flash, 'auto' also doesn't fire the flash so have to manually release it first causing another layer of human error.

What's the hassle free setting for this? and honestly what's the problem of this, is it that Auto is not good enough or high ISO still need to better (in order to get very fast shutter in low light) or flash needs to fire in auto and be better like new iPhone's dual colour LEDs??

Sorry for the rant, I had to sell a couple of cams because my wife or friends can't take birthday pictures or getting too many blurs when borrow my 'high tech' cameras, so they end up using their phone or compacts to capture these moments and I hate those pictures!

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow