Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter in Sydney
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
loose fit between 2X-III and 300mm f/2.8 II
7 months ago

I'm a long-time reader of this forum, but this is my first post here.

I've recently bought (new) the EF 300mm f/2.8 IS II USM and  the Extender EF 2X III for use with my 5D3.
While this is my first long Canon lens I have plenty of experience with 300mm/2.8 and 1.4x and 2x extenders with another system, so I am familiar with the slight rotational movements between body and lens, which is additive when there is an extender in between.

What I find with the new 2xIII is that not only is there the (very small) rotational movement there is also a lateral wobble - so much so that I can feel the movement with my fingers and see the joint between 2x and lens open slightly, and hear the movement.

There is no perceptible wobble when the 300mm is mounted directly on the camera body - nothing that I can feel, see or hear - the mount is as solid as I would expect it to be.
I don't have any other compatible lenses with which to try the 2X.
I checked the mounting screws on the 2X face plate and all are tight - as are those on the 300mm.

As light as this combo is, I don't carry it around without supporting the lens, and I have a neck strap on the lens. Nothing has been dropped or bumped, and the AF and image quality are unbelievably good.

Is this wobble normal ?  has anyone else noticed it ?   Any thoughts or suggestions . . .?

Peter
Sydney Australia

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow